Sunday, January 25, 2009

Experiment with Posh

It's maybe been a year or more that I've been eying the sweet bottles of pure maple syrup at Costco, Maceys, Smiths, anywhere I go to buy breakfast stuffs--which is, if you don't know, about all the food I buy and keep in my home because it's the only meal I reliably eat there.

Going through Costco after Christmas--when I had received, among other things, a Waffle Maker--I decided it was finally time to give into my long-time desires and get some pure maple syrup. Oh, yes. As I checked out, my checker was a bit more talkative and asked me about the pure maple sryup--big news, I know--and I told her that I've always wanted to try it and I finally am. Then she said 'yeah, it's so expensive though. you've got to mix it with regular syrup to make it go farther.'

Hmmm..., I thought. Interesting. That doesn't sound like what I want to do with my new premium priced luxury item, but I'll think about it. I did. I thought it was ridiculous to buy specially good syrup just so I can make my regular cheap syrup taste a little better. When I order a steak at a restaurant, I don't put ketchup on it! Total waste. Nor was I going to mix my pure maple with Mrs. Butterworth's bargain basement maple. As buttery as it is.

No, forget that. I choose the other extreme. I bought fresh blueberries, whipping up lavender flavored cream, and bought some premium orange juice for the to eat with my blue corn waffles. That's right, got some special blue corn meal and buttermilk for the recipe which I highly recommend. They taste as clean as carrot juice or a fine sushi. Nice, clean, and pure. Like pure maple syrup.

And I still have a lot of posh syrup--I did get it at Costco--so if anyone out there has great Waffle recipes, I'm in the market/mood even if it requires soaking Quinoa overnight. Any "best waffles I've ever had," I'm interested. Viva la waffle.

4 comments:

Deja said...

I love me the waffles. And I am APPALLED that she would suggest mixing the maple with cheap stuff. She lives in a sad world.

You my friend. You do not.

TinTin said...

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful. That check out girl sure knows how to make waste of taste. Now I am in the mood for my pure breakfast of choco rice pops. There's a breakfast place here in London called The Breakfast Club and they have amazing pure dishes, yet another reason to come and visit me!

Anna B said...

that is the bomb.com.

zlb said...

i have a great recipe that does require soaking buckwheat and millet overnight, but oh so delicious and healthy. then there are the sunday supper waffles my family makes that are super buttery and have bacon (NOT bacon bits) and pieces of cheddar cheese in them. . . SERIOUS good waffles. plus maple syrup can be used in lieu of sugar for a lot of things and is MUCH better for you.