Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kaleidoscope

What do you see? That’s the delight in Kaleidoscopes, I suppose. I remember a cheap one in my house that I played with near the patches of sun thrown through the living room windows onto our tan carpet. A cardboard tube covered in red paper, I held its clear, sleekness in both hands, the better for twisting and tumbling what looked like left over pieces of plastic from more expensive toys. This was the bologna and hotdog of the toy world.

At first I turned it eagerly, excited to rush to each new collection of reality made fantastic through multiple reflection. The colors and shapes slid and plopped into new and infinite patterns again and again. Sometimes I’d be shocked by the intricacy, sometimes the banality, of this closed magical tube of infinity.

Then I stopped turning it. I held it in one place when I realized the patterns don’t repeat. They’re unique in the world. This cheap, left-over plastic aided by three mirrors was forming unique patterns that would only be seen by me, and only once, before disappearing forever. I felt strange to be responsible for these fleeting and unique patterns, to know that their existence required me to hold them indefinitely.

But I couldn’t hold them indefinitely, so I dropped it on the ground, imagining the pattern newly created by the fall looking for an eye that would not. And there I left it forever after because soon I stopped picking up kaleidoscopes altogether. They made me feel old.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Paisly Rekdal has a book of poetry titled, "The Invention of the Kaleidoscope." It speaks of beauty made of broken things and reconciling oneself to chaos.

Deja said...

Lovely, lovely thoughts. Just lovely.

Especially the hotdog part.

TinTin said...

I remember that Kaleidoscope. I thought it was cheap because of the broken bits of plastic from other 'expensive' toys which we didn't have. I like your thoughts. And, I must say that being grown-up IS like having a lifetime supply of ice cream. That was a lovely thought!